Monday, October 6, 2008

Did That Warm Your Heart?

So often it feels like I am going through the motions and the idea of slowing down to enjoy the journey is pushed back to do later when I have the time....or is it just me? I keep piling the tasks on, keep saying yes to help with whatever until Jeff reminds me "You know Sarah you can say No sometimes". It's not that I don't love volunteering or quick cards or visits to others it's just that life gets soooo crazy. I go through a lot of my days with my mental planner (and real one too) in my head ticking away at the "to-do's" and the "already dids" and the "remember that for tomorrow"s. It's then that a moment will catch you off guard and you remember to re-prioritize. I have re organized my Franklin Planner so that family needs- not tasks are written first. It's amazing how writing them down at the top of the page completely changes your outlook. This happened today. Mondays are crazy! The last few have been chaotic to say the least...preschool, phone calls, bills, laundry, house cleaning, early dinner to make T ball at 5:30, Fencing at 6:30- and then around 30 minutes after the kids are in bed (which is 30 minutes after they SHOULD have been in bed!) as I finish cleaning up the kitchen I realize that I am dead on my feet and that I actually did not sit down once through the whole day (car seat doesn't count). Even my meals were eaten on my feet as I filed paperwork or did my make-up. (That is so not the French way...) Still trying to figure out how to multi-task in the shower..will it really zap me if I keep texting in the shower?
Well tonight we cleared the schedule! AJ decided he is not that crazy about Fencing and Eli has T ball on Tuesday instead. We actually held Family Home Evening on Monday night instead of Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or on the drive to church....
Please don't think I am complaining..it's just life, but it made the enclosed experience quite sweet.
Our Family Home Evening Lesson was on "Family First". Loving our Brothers because they can be our best friends for the rest of their lives. (if you have daughters, insert "sisters" here.) We discussed kind things that they do for each other that "warm our hearts" as moms and dads. Elijah spent the majority of the time climbing all over me as I talked and I was pretty sure he didn't hear more than 3 words. The treat (after a rip-roaring game of Hide-and-go-seek) was ice cream. As we sat there eating our Caramel Tracks Delight, Elijah turned to Patrick and said "I love you Patrick". I sighed an "ohhhh". Then Elijah turned to me and said "Did that warm your heart?". I was struck by the question and I realized "Yes it did!" The words coming out of my mouth may be hanging in space somewhere, but along the way there they did pass through my busy boys heads! And it totally helps that they are so cute too.
So I have recommitted to stop concentrating on the check marks of another task well done, but instead on doing the most important things well. This week I shall seek out actions that can "warm my heart" and be sure to serve others so that I might create warm hearts where ever I go...(too cheesy? It must be all the sugar in my brain left over from the Caramel Delight:)
Did that warm your heart?

3 comments:

Devin, Natalie, Zachary, Katelyn said...

Sarah,

THat is so sweet. YOu are such a good mom. It is so true, they hear things when you don't think they are listening.....most of all your kids are so lucky to have you adn Jeff for such great examples!
MIss you.
Nat

Pat said...

Sarah:

Our hearts are always warmed when we are able to spend time with you, Jeff and grandkids. Our visit last week was so special. You always make it so much fun and full of great memories even though it makes your daily schedule more hectic. We get to keep those memories in our hearts when we leave to go back to California. Love Pat

Sarah said...

Thanks! Natalie you are a fantastic mom yourself. And Pat it is you guys who make your visits soooo awesome! Love ya both!